Thursday, January 05, 2006

Pucks galore

One of my faults, and I do have many, is that I get bored very easily. Way too easily. Doing the same thing over and over and over again, up to and including even the most complex of tasks, is a sure-fire recipe for mischief, tomfoolery and catnaps. While I've learned to tolerate most things (being a daddy has helped with that), I just can't stand mind-numbing boredom.

The same thing, I believe, can be said for my hobby. After a while, I realized that most of the pucks, even if they are official game pucks, were looking the same -- usually a silver scribble over a team logo inside a white circle. Very seldom was a player gracious enough to sign the black ring of rubber surrounding the logo.

That's why, as my collection has grown to more than 600, I've found myself using as many different pucks as I can. Not only does this variety let me build impressive collections of certain players without the scourge of duplicates, but it also staves off the boredom brought by using the same style of puck for every player and team I hound.

Having said that, though, these pucks do serve a useful purpose. If you're just getting into the hobby, or making the step up to pucks from cards, tracking down a dozen or so basic autographs pucks will serve you well. Chances are, too, they'll be cheaper and easier to find.

As I've built my collection, I've turned to a variety of pucks out of sheer necessity. Rather than getting a player three or four times on the same puck, I do a little research (check out hockeydb.com) and learn about the minor, junior or college teams in his career. Even specialty pucks, which commemorate a team's anniversary, accomplishment or a special event, can be used.

Mostly, though, I use the different pucks to make hounding interesting. Different pucks add color. They add texture. They add balance. And they add life.

I'm not saying everyone should have as diverse a collection as mine. In fact, I hope I'm the exception (or obsession, as my wife believes) rather the norm.

Pucks shown above, from left:

Florida Panthers: Jay Bouwmeester, San Antonio Rampage, Feb. 13, 2005, Manchester, N.H.
New York Rangers: Marcel Dionne, Hall of Famer, Feb. 13, 2005, Manchester, N.H.
Atlanta Thrashers: Kari Lehtonen, Chicago Wolves, Feb. 13, 2005, Manchester, N.H.

These three pucks were among the 100-plus I collected during the 2005 American Hockey League All-Star Classic on Feb. 13-14, 2005, in Manchester, N.H.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian S said...

couldn't guess Bouwmeester (could just barely grasp the sig, let alone make it out), but I made the other two in a matter of seconds.

hey for a guy who's no longer a puckhound and only started collecting again in the last 2 months, that seems good!

nice to read about the different pucks out there. I remember becoming a minor expert at one point, and I know of a local supplier that has a pretty decent selection if ever decide I need to pick some up. otherwise, ebay (I guess).

5:14 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Hello! That's a great collection you got there! I'm starting to get a few pucks signed here and there and I was wondering what kind of silver marker you use for your pucks? I tried the Silver Sharpie, but it didn't work very often, even though I stored it properly. I switched to some brand that they sell at Wal-Mart and got very good results (see my blog).

12:30 PM  
Blogger jersey joe said...

First time today seeing your blog. I'm very impressed with your knowledge of collecting hockey autographs. I've got a source for getting pucks for my local NHL team, but can you share who you use/recommend using to get a good price?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Puckhound said...

I use Anderson's out of Michigan, though I've heard dealers talking about another place that was cheaper than Anderson's:

http://www.andersonkpt.com/products

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home